McLaren Falls Park - Fun in the Sun
Fun in the Sun activity cards - McLaren Falls
Upload a photo of your whānau completing an activity below using hashtag #VOTfuninsun to Facebook or Instagram, and you'll go in the draw to WIN! The more activites you complete, and the more photos you tag, then the more chances to win!
Competition open 21 December, 2018 to 31 January, 2019. Compeition T+Cs.
Download activity cards or see the list below.
- Using only the natural resources that you can find on the ground, make a self portrait
TOP TIP: Leaves make a great hair do!
- What do the Park Rangers call the three trees called located on the rimu-totara track (tip - they might be siblings)?
- How many sheep can you count around the park?
- Locate the Point named after a city in the Waikato (tip - you might need to look at a park map). It is called _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ Point
- Take a closer look at the names on the trees. How many native New Zealand trees can you identify?
- Can you find the Bay that is named after a fruit?
- I glow at night and can be found in a cave at McLaren Falls. What am I?
Locate the Pine Tree Knoll Lookout – what can you see from the top? Take a photo to show us!
- Spread the word and get a crew together for a game of Disc Golf located within the Park
TOP TIP: The Information Centre can point you in the right direction
Make a Sundial:
- How do you tell the time on holiday? Use the natural resources around you to make a Sundial
TOP TIP: Tall sticks love to cast shadows
- Set up a target, throw your jandal and see who can get the closest!
TOP TIP: Think horse shoe throw!
- Be a tidy kiwi – If you see any rubbish as you complete Fun in the Sun please pick it up and put it in a rubbish or recycling bin
TOP TIP: Make sure to wash your hands afterwards!
- Design your own game of Hopscotch
TOP TIP: How tricky can you get?
Spread the word and get a crew together for a game of Backyard cricket
- Pick a trail, pack a picnic and head off for an afternoon of exploring
TOP TIP: What natural treasures can you find along the way?
- Show us your favourite way to cool off on a hot summer's day - why not give a kayak a go?
Fill in the blanks with these questions about water safety:
“Never _ _ _ _ when tired or cold”
“If in _ _ _ _ _ stay out”
“Never Swim or _ _ _ _ alone”
- Make a quick video about being a clever kiwi conservationist
TOP TIP: Conservationist = a clever kiwi who protects and looks after the environment and wildlife
- Using only items of nature found on the ground, make a raft. Can you get it to float while you sit on it?
- TOP TIP: Remember to be a kiwi conservationist and only use materials found on the ground that are not living plants