Lake Tikitapu (Blue Lake) - Fun in the Sun
Upload a photo of your whānau completing an activity below using hashtag #VOTfuninsun to Facebook or Instagram, and you'll go in th draw to WIN! The more activites you complete, and the more photos you tag, then the more chances to win!
Competition open 21 December, 2018 to 31 January, 2019. Compeition T+Cs.
- Build a life size sand family
- TOP TIP: Leaves make a great hair do
1. How many people along the beach and at the playground do you see wearing hats and sunglasses?
2. How many boats are on the lake?.H
3. How did Lake Tikitapu get its name?
4. What fish will you find in Lake Tikitapu?
5. What two nutrients cause algae growth in the lake when there is too much?
6. Boats must travel at _ knots when within _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ of people and boats.
7. What birds have been painted on the panels near the toilets?
8. Name the three iconic Kiwi plants featured on the art work toilet panels
- Get your crew together for a game of Lake Golf!
- TOP TIP: You'll each need a tennis ball to roll at holes that you've made in the sand (think bowling!). Get digging and become a golf course apprentice by designing and building your own course!
Make a Sundial:
- How do you tell the time on holiday? Use the natural resources around you to make a Sundial
- TOP TIP: Tall sticks love to cast shadows
- Set up a target, throw your jandal and see who can get the closest!
- TOP TIP: Think horse shoe throw!
- Be a tidy kiwi – If you see any rubbish as you complete Fun in the Sun please pick it up and put it in a rubbish or recycling bin
- TOP TIP: Make sure to wash your hands afterwards!
- Design your own game of Hopscotch
- TOP TIP: How tricky can you get?
- Spread the word and get a crew together for a game of Backyard cricket
- Complete the Lake Tikitapu circuit walk or explore the bush surrounding the campsite. What bugs, critters or birds can you find?
- TOP TIP: Don’t be afraid to get amongst the dirt to find those that may be good at hiding
Be Water Smart:
- Show us your favourite way to cool off at the Lake on a hot summer day
Fill in the blanks with these questions about water safety:
“Never _ _ _ _ when tired or cold”
“If in _ _ _ _ _ stay out”
“Never Swim or _ _ _ _ alone”
- Make a quick video about being a clever kiwi conservationist
- TOP TIP: Conservationist = a clever kiwi who protects and looks after the environment and wildlife
- Take a photo of the twin pine giants who oversee all happenings on the lake and at the campsite. Can you guess how long these trees have been here for?